鶹Ƶý

Our Story

St Patrick's 鶹Ƶý is blessed with a threefold tradition.

In February 1873, the Presentation Sisters began teaching pupils at their convent in Launceston. With its small beginning, Sacred Heart 鶹Ƶý was established. The growing need for the education of Catholic children in Launceston was further met by the arrival of the Christian Brothers and the opening of St Patrick's 鶹Ƶý in York Street in 1919. The third branch of this educational tradition began with the establishment of St Thomas More's School, Newstead, under the auspices of the Sisters of St Joseph in 1938. The schools grew as the Religious Orders made a significant contribution to the Catholic community of Launceston. Despite the hardships of earlier years, the Catholic community continued to invest in the education of their children. In 1958 the Christian Brothers opened a new campus for St Patrick's 鶹Ƶý at Prospect Vale. This became a secondary college for boys.

A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots

— Marcus Garvey

Amalgamation

Further financial strain and the challenges of a more extensive curriculum led to an amalgamation of the two secondary girls’ 鶹Ƶýs. In 1978 Sacred Heart and St Thomas More's joined to form Marian 鶹Ƶý. Finally, in order to provide a continued high standard of education for Catholic families, a further amalgamation of schools occurred when St Patrick's 鶹Ƶý and Marian 鶹Ƶý joined to create the new co-educational secondary 鶹Ƶý which is St Patrick's 鶹Ƶý today. This major shift in Catholic education took place at the beginning of 1984 heralding a new era of enthusiasm, vision and endeavour. In 1998, the Year 7 classes left the Newstead campus and joined the other classes at Prospect, completing the amalgamation process to a Catholic college on a single campus.

Restructure

In 2008, the decision was made by the Board and Governing Council to restructure the 鶹Ƶý into the Middle School (Years 7 and 8), Croagh Patrick (Year 9) and Senior School (Years 10-12). The decision was made in order to more fully meet the needs of students and provide a challenging and supportive learning environment at each stage of development through secondary education. Purpose built facilities for Year 9 students opened in 2012. Renovations of the Middle and Senior schools followed in subsequent years. What had begun in a very humble way with the three Religious Orders of the Presentation Sisters, the Christian Brothers and the Sisters of St Joseph is now being carried on enthusiastically by a group of professional lay teachers committed to the ongoing vision and ethos of Catholic education. 

Crest

The 鶹Ƶý crest is dominated by the number three reflecting the earlier history of the emerging three 鶹Ƶýs. The three flames at the centre of the crest represent the influence of the Holy Spirit on the three founding orders - the Presentation Sisters, the Christian Brothers and the Sisters of St Joseph. The chain in the crest symbolises the motto of our 鶹Ƶý, 'Strength through Faith and Knowledge'. Saint Patrick, the Patron of our 鶹Ƶý continues to inspire our community. Patrick had a great love of people, a great love of God and a great love of creation. These attributes inspire our students to become involved in the unfolding story of humanity and to make their personal contribution to the development of society.